Full Circle Podcast Episode 35, Manchester Girl Geeks Barcamp 2013 Special
Welcome to the second of our 2 part conference special, in this episode the presenters reflect on the first ever Manchester Girl Geeks Barcamp held at the MadLab on 16th March 2013
- OGG 40.9Mb
- MP3 63.6Mb
Running Time: 1hr 09mins 16seconds
Feeds for both MP3 and OGG:
RSS feed, MP3: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed
RSS feed, OGG: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed/atom
The podcast is in MP3 and OGG formats. You can either play the podcast in-browser if you have Flash and/or Java, or you can download the podcast with the link underneath the player. Show notes after the jump.
- Freaky Clown (twitter @__Freakyclown__)
- Les Pounder (blog at http://about.me/lespounder/ twitter @biglesp)
- Olly Clark (Google + http://plus.google.com/103073417601965434371/ twitter @ollyclarkdotorg)
- Tony Hughes (Google + http://plus.google.com/101988366830118285114/ twitter @TonyH1212)
01:43 | WELCOME and INTRO:
02:59 | REFLECTIONS
Les, Olly & Freaky Clown reflect on the success of the Manchester Girl Geeks first Bracamp
- The first Barcamp that was specifically organised to support women
- A shift in attendances, 75% Women and 25% Men
- All tickets sold and a fairly large waiting list.
- Over 70 attendees
- Diverse subject matter for talks ranging from Google Analytics to Q&A of a Hacker through to e-textiles
08:40 | INTRODUCING Ian Forrester
- Ian is employed by the BBC and runs the BBC Backstage Project, encouraging you to use our stuff to make your stuff.
- He is also heavily involved in organising geek and tech events around the UK, he helped bring BarCamp to the UK via BarCamp London and setup BarCamp London2, BarCamp London3 and BarCamp MediaCity. He’s also known for being involved in the data portability group.
- He also regularly blogs about tech and events which you can read at: http://cubicgarden.com/
09:30 | PRESENTATION Ian Forrester – The History of Girl Geek Dinners
- Ian played a video during the talk which was a documentary shown on Channel4, a UK network in 2006 and can be found on Archive.org here http://archive.org/details/girlgeek_uk_doc
25:18 | INTERVIEW – Katie Steckles & Samantha Bail – The Manchester Girl Geeks First Bracamp – Organising it and Reflecting on it’s Success
- We caught up with Sam and Katie to to talk about how their first Barcamp has gone.
- We discuss their involvement in the Manchester Girl Geek Dinners and organisation and involvement in events such as BarCamp MediaCity
- We also discuss the future for the Manchester Girl Geeks Barcamps
- You can keep up-to-date with all the talks and events the Manchester Girl Geeks Dinners are organising and involved in by visiting their website or following them on twitter @mcrgirlgeeks
39:45 | INTRODUCING Ben Nuttall
- Ben is the organiser of Manchester Raspberry Jam
- Ben is also a STEM Ambassador
- Follow Ben’s Blog and on Twitter @ben_nuttall
40:10 | PRESENTATION Ben Nuttall – Free Software Culture
A presentation on what Free Software Culture is and what it means to use and develop Free Software.
1.04:13 | REVIEW – Freaky Clown Talks About His Visit to Manchester CoderDojo
- Manchester CoderDojo his held on the first Sunday of every month between 2 and 5pm at MadLab
- A CoderDojo is a user group where under 18s can go to learn how to code using various languages such as Scratch and Python
- Find your nearest CoderDojo here: http://zen.coderdojo.com/
1.07:16 | OUTRO AND WRAP
Comments: on this page, using the comment form, OR;
Send us a comment to email@example.com
You can also send us a comment by recording an audio clip of no more than 30 seconds and sending it to the same address. Comments and audio may be edited for length. Please remember this is a family-friendly show.
If you are aware of any Geek or Tech events happening in your area or you’ve recorded audio or video from an event and you would like to publicise them please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can make arrangements to put them into the show. Please don’t email large audio or video files to us.
Please note: this podcast is provided with absolutely no warranty whatsoever; neither the producers nor Full Circle Magazine accept any responsibility or liability for content or interaction which readers and listeners may enter into using external links gleaned from this web-site, forum or podcast series.
Creative Commons Music Tracks
Opening: ‘Achilles’ by Kevin Macleod
Main Theme: ‘Revolve’ by His Boy Elroy
Reflections to Presentation by Ian Forrester, Out of Presentation by Ian Forrester: ‘Dance Zone’ by Unknown
Into Interview with Katie & Sam, Out of Interview with Katie & Sam: On the Run 1 By Unknown
Into and Out of Presentation by Ben Nuttall, Into and Out of Review: Iron Man By SoundJay