Full Circle Podcast #11: A Painful Washing Experience
In this episode, testing the Meerkat; also Android 2.2, Nexus One and Spotify. Our opinion on neck-beards and imitation as a form of flattery. On gaming, it’s Sauerbraten Justice, Quake Live, Rage and the Steam pantomime.
Full Circle Podcast is also a proud member of the Tech Podcasts Network.
Feeds for both MP3 and OGG:
RSS feed, MP3: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed
RSS feed, OGG: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed/atom
The podcast is in MP3 and OGG formats. You can either play the podcast in-browser if you have Flash and/or Java, or you can download the podcast with the link underneath the player.
Show notes after the jump.
- Robin Catling (blog at http://catlingmindswipe.blogspot.com/)
- Ed Hewitt (blog at http://www.edhewitt.co.uk/)
- Dave Wilkins plans to buy a netbook and join the Borrowers…
Additional audio by Victoria Pritchard
01:05 | WELCOME and INTRO
1:35 | SINCE LAST TIME…
- Ed caused a diplomatic incident (whilst Robin simply misunderstood).
- Joined Quake Live’s new subscription service.
- Awaiting Maverick – only 17 days to go.
- Dave has been travelling.
- Not before Gwibber updates were broken in Lucid over summer.
- Meanwhile still playing with Android updates – more successfully than Vodafone’s Android mess updating 2.2 on the HTC Desire which upset some customers.
- Still loving the Nexus One, although saddened that there’s to be no Nexus Two
- Games – Sauerbraten Justice edition released with new landscapes, maps, characters
- Robin has the Maverick Alpha-3 in a twist over Updates and Upgrades – when the test box isn’t blowing the electrics in the office.
9:19 | Review Issue #39 of Full Circle Magazine
- Virtualisation series by Lucas Westerman – Fedora in Virtualbox
- iRobot aPad Review; see also ‘Kindle mocks iPad‘
- Virtual Memory Stats
- Netbook recommendations – Ebuyer Asus EEE-pc 1001P or EEE-PC 1005P
(the 1200P EEE-PC has a 12in screen and full size keyboard)
- Ed’s Interview of Nickolay Korslund of Open MW
21:38 | Review Issue #40 of Full Circle Magazine
- Aquaria (sound fishy to me); a painful washing experience for Dave
- My Desktop
- A plea to Ronnie to continue editorials.
- A discussion of Conky system monitor got in there somehow
- with Ed’s preferred Conky example.
29:16 | News
- Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat 10.10 testing progress
- Dependency hell for Maverick Update Mangler – blog post.
- Social Networking – Gwibber authentication.
- Things to turn off – services.
- UbuntuOne vs Dropbox. – Ed trashes UbuntuOne.
44:08 | Trailer
45:08 | Opinion
- The Troublemakers’ Podcast (Neck-beards need not apply).
- Imitation as flattery or a plan for world domination?
51:33 | Review
56:53 | Contribute
57:23 | Gaming
- Steam isn’t coming to Linux; oh, yes it is, oh no it isn’t!
- Rage, the next big Linux hit! Won E3 Game of the Show!
- Dave – Sauerbraten Justice Edition
- Join Quake Live for £1.50p.m. or £20p.a.
1.04:42 | Feedback: Your comments and emails
1.05:05 | Send us feedback: since Victoria continues to ask so nicely
1.05:40: | Outro and Wrap
Comments: on this page, using the comment form, OR;
Send us a comment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also send us a comment by recording an audio clip of no more than 30 seconds and sending it to the same address. Comments and audio may be edited for length. Please remember this is a family-friendly show.
Please note: this podcast is provided with absolutely no warranty whatsoever; neither the producers nor Full Circle Magazine accept any responsibility or liability for content or interaction which readers and listeners may enter into using external links gleaned from this forum or podcast series.
Creative Commons Music Tracks
- Opening: ‘Achilles’ by Kevin Macleod
- Main Theme: ‘Revolve’ by His Boy Elroy
- Incidental: ‘Dance Zone’ by Unknown
- Incidental: ‘On the Run’ by Unknown
- Trailer: ‘Dangerous’ by Kevin Macleod
- Incidental: ‘Again’ by Diego Massanti
Runtime: 1hr 7mins 41seconds