Full Circle Podcast #7: Two Tin Cans and a Length of String
In this Episode, our longest so far; UDS, Unity and a Humble Bundle.
News: Ubuntu Developers Summit, Ubuntu Light, Unity.
Guest Spot: We go through the Ubuntu bug-reporting process with Alan Pope.
Games: Ed, Dave and Alan are all agreed about the Humble Indie Bundle and Dave looks at Wormux.
Interview: Part II of the Ubuntu Manual Project – tools
Keynote: Part I of Mark Shuttleworth’s keynote from UDS
Feeds for both MP3 and OGG:
RSS feed, MP3: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed
RSS feed, OGG: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed/atom
The podcast is in MP3 and OGG formats. You can either play the podcast in-browser if you have Flash and/or Java, or you can download the podcast with the link underneath the player.
Show notes after the jump.
- Robin Catling (blog at http://catlingmindswipe.blogspot.com/)
- Ed Hewitt (blog at http://www.edhewitt.co.uk/)
- Dave Wilkins… is an Elvis impersonator on weekends.
- with our special guest:
Alan Pope from Ubuntu UK Podcast, blog: http://popey.com/blog/
Additional audio by Victoria Pritchard
02.01 | WELCOME and INTRO
03.05 | SINCE LAST TIME…
Ed created a wiki page for the FCM Podcast!
08.32 | NEWS
Ubuntu UDS Kicks off!
No Gnome-Shell, No Blue-ray support, but Nautilus-Elementary maybe used in 10.10. Shotwell to replace F-Spot
New and Improved Indicators; sound, network, keyboard and clock.
Changes to Sound Menu
Improved Me Menu
Unity is the all new UI in Ubuntu Netbook edition
- Mark wants to work on OEMs, first boot experience, media and codec handling
- Connected to the web in 7 seconds on SSD
- No traditional file management
- Small set of default apps: browser, media, mail
- Focus on touch
- For OEMs only, no public iso’s
- Unity will use Chromium by default.
OMG!Ubuntu Podcast: ‘Ubuntuesday’ is out!
Ubuntu on TV – CNBC’s ‘Big Bang Theory’
31.50 | INTERVIEW: Benjamin Humphrey, Ubuntu Manual Project Part II: Quickshot and LaTex:
Ubuntu Manual Project home: http://ubuntu-manual.org
Quickshot project home: http://ubuntu-manual.org/quickshot
LaTex project home: http://www.latex-project.org/
Kevin Godby’s Beginners’ Guide for Authors and translators:
42.16 | GUEST SPOT: We talk about bug reporting with Alan Pope
Apport tool: well described over in the Kubuntu wiki:
Ubuntu bug reporting:
Process described at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
Bug Reporting page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs
Example under discussion: Bug report #529387
58.10 | GAMING
Alan, Dave and Ed agree on something!
The Humble Indie Bundle (http://www.wolfire.com/humble)
* Aquaria (http://www.bit-blot.com/aquaria/)
* Gish (http://www.crypticsea.com/gish/)
* Lugaru (http://www.wolfire.com/lugaru)
* Penumbra (http://www.penumbragame.com/)
* World of Goo (http://2dboy.com/games.php)
Profits in aid of:
* Childs Play Charity (http://www.childsplaycharity.org/)
* Electronic Frontiers Foundation (http://www.eff.org/)
1:09.00 | Contribute!
Because Victoria asks so nicely…
109.33 | GUEST SPOT: Mark Shuttleworth UDS Keynote Speech
from Ubuntu Developer’s Summit, Brussels, May 2010 (edit)
Part One: Ubuntu Light and Unity
(Audio courtesy of Alan Pope)
Full speech (video): http://blip.tv/file/3601671
1:25.39 | WRAP and OUTRO
Comments: on this page, using the comment form, OR;
Send us a comment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also send us a comment by recording an audio clip of no more than 30 seconds and sending it to the same address. Comments and audio may be edited for length. Please remember this is a family-friendly show.
Please note: this podcast is provided with absolutely no warranty whatsoever; neither the producers nor Full Circle Magazine accept any responsibility or liability for content or interaction which readers and listeners may enter into using external links gleaned from this forum or podcast series.
Creative Commons Music Tracks
- Opening: ‘Achilles’ by Kevin Macleod
- Main Theme: ‘Revolve’ by His Boy Elroy
- Incidental: ‘Dance Zone’ by Unknown
- Incidental: ‘On the Run’ by Unknown
- Trailer: ‘Dangerous’ by Kevin Macleod
- Incidental: ‘Iron Man’ by Unknown
Runtime: 1 hour 30 minutes 41 seconds