Ubuntu MATE Flavor Could Arrive Soon, Prototype Looks Great Already
Ever since the introduction of Unity, some of the Ubuntu users have been pining after GNOME 2, the desktop environment in use until Ubuntu 11.04 arrives. It looks like it had a lot of fans and a part of the Linux community is still hoping that the good days will return.
Martin Wimpress, a MATE Desktop team member, took it upon himself to make an Ubuntu prototype featuring MATE, which greatly resembles the old style used by Canonical until 2011.
This is just preliminary work and it’s more like an experiment than anything else, but the developer had help from Canonical’s Alan Pope and he left a message saying that something interesting might come out of this: “there’s something cooking and it smells delicious. Thanks to Alan Pope for the help.”
Submitted by: Silviu Stahie
Leave a comment
- Ubuntu Shopping Lens (Scopes) Declared Legal in the UK and Most Likely in the European Union
- elementary OS Freya Beta Is Out, Still the Most Beautiful OS in the World
- Screenshot Tool Shutter 0.92 Ditches Ubuntu One Support
- Russian Ministry of Health to Replace Microsoft and Oracle Products with Linux and PostgreSQL
- GUN Linux: On the range with TrackingPoint’s new AR-15s
You can also read Full Circle online at: http://issuu.com/fullcirclemagazine
Go on Flattr us
All donations go to buying you folks some awesome competition prizes.
You can subscribe to get an email update every time a new issue of the magazine comes out.
Full Circle is a free, independent, monthly magazine dedicated to the Ubuntu family of Linux operating systems. Each month, it contains helpful how-to articles and reader submitted stories.
Full Circle also features a companion podcast, the Full Circle Podcast, which covers the magazine along with other news of interest.