Full Circle Side-Pod Episode Thirteen: That’s How it Feels To Be Wrong
In this episode, Ubuntu Phone and TV.
- OGG 45.5Mb
- mp3 52.1Mb
Running Time: 1 hour 21 mins 56 sec
Feeds for both MP3 and OGG:
RSS feed, MP3: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed
RSS feed, OGG: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed/atom
The podcast is in MP3 and OGG formats. You can either play the podcast in-browser if you have Flash and/or Java, or you can download the podcast with the link underneath the player. Show notes after the jump.
- Robin Catling (blog at http://catlingmindswipe.blogspot.com/, @robincatling on Twitter)
Culture-vultures can also go to Everything Express at http://everythingexpress.wordpress.com/
- Ed Hewitt (blog at http://www.edhewitt.co.uk/, @edhewitt on Twitter)
- Dave Wilkins (blog at http://www.davidalexanderwilkins.com/ and on twitter @DavidAWilkins)
- Alan Pope (blog at http://popey.com/blog/, twitter @popey), (Popey) on Google+
Additional audio by Victoria Pritchard
01:52 | WELCOME and INTRO
04:52 | SINCE LAST TIME
- Dave has been blogging
- Ed got a Galaxy Nexus 4
- Alan has been on Kickstarter in place of the shopping channels, the latest delivery being the Digisparc.
- Robin rashly took on the Full Circle Magazine Audio Edition (coming soon)
14:46 | Catch-up with UDS and 13.04 Mid-Cycle Sprint with Alan, and we discuss rolling releases.
22:43 | Ubuntu Phone – the gloves are off!
In a video released over the New Year, Mark Shuttleworth demos the new Ubuntu Phone operating system.
In a glossy, well produced (if slightly long 8mins 37secs), Canonical founder and CTO Mark Shuttleworth talks us through Ubuntu Phone, An Industry Proposition, a product he hopes will challenge iOS, Android and now Tizen in the mobile market.
Some of the key features:
- Ubuntu distilled from TV and desktop
- ‘Welcome screen’ not lock screen
- One-handed operation using all four screen edges
- Full swipe gesture control
- Bottom edge for show/hide buttons
- Show Unity Dash any time using left swipe
- Go to previous app using right swipe
- Full customisation of home screen
- Ubuntu Software Centre for mobile apps
- UbuntuOne cloud storage built in.
- Native Apps built in QT framework
- Microsoft paying developers to port apps over to Windows Phone
- The Rise and Fall of Palm
- Gmail drop support for Exchange Active Sync
- Blackberry Z10 Review
- Windows Phone 8 Review
- Ubuntu Phone to have issues
- Latest Smartphone Market
- What the hell happen to Ubuntu’s only chance of success
- Blackberry 10 has apps people actually want! – No terminal app in sight!
1.07:10 | Ubuntu TV:
1.19:37 | FEEDBACK: How to get in touch with us
1.20:11 | WRAP and OUTRO
Comments: on this page, using the comment form, OR; Send us a comment to email@example.com.
You can also send us a comment by recording an audio clip of no more than 30 seconds and sending it to the same address.
Comments and audio may be edited for length. Please remember this is a family-friendly show.
Please note: this podcast is provided with absolutely no warranty whatsoever; neither the producers nor Full Circle Magazine accept any responsibility or liability for content or interaction which readers and listeners may enter into using external links gleaned from this forum or podcast series.
Creative Commons Music Tracks
* Opening: ‘Knights of the darkness’ by Zero Project
* Main theme: ‘CCMixter’ by Code
* Incidental: ‘Funkorama‘ by Kevin MacLeod
* Incidental: ‘Techno-dog’ by Unknown, original recording royalty free under Creative Commons v2
* Opening dramatic dialog by Dave Wilkins and Robin Catling, from 2001: A Space Odyssey
* Opening dramatic monolog by Dave Wilkins, ‘Saruman.’