Full Circle Podcast Episode 26 Blame it on the Ferrets
In this episode, UDs, Public Speaking and Barcamp Blackpool.
Full Circle Podcast is also a proud member of the Tech Podcasts Network.
- OGG 27.8Mb
- MP3 20.4Mb
Runtime: 1hr 00mins 03seconds
Feeds for both MP3 and OGG:
RSS feed, MP3: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed
RSS feed, OGG: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed/atom
The podcast is in MP3 and OGG formats. You can either play the podcast in-browser if you have Flash and/or Java, or you can download the podcast with the link underneath the player.
Show notes after the jump.
Despite a whole bag of Skype fail, Ubuntu USB fail and microphone fail, we’re lighting up like fireworks!
- Robin Catling (blog at http://catlingmindswipe.blogspot.com/, @robincatling on Twitter)
Culture-vultures can also go to Everything Express as http://everythingexpress.wordpress.com/
- Les Pounder (blog at http://lespounder.wordpress.com/ twitter @biglesp)
- Dave Wilkins… is lost in Antiquity (twitter @DavidAWilkins)
Additional audio by Victoria Pritchard
01:13 | WELCOME and INTRO:
03:09 | Since Last Time
- Attended a successful Barcamp Blackpool: Barcamp Blackpool audio sessions will begin appearing soon.
A side-project emerged from Barcamp: The Flying Handbag podcast DOWNLOAD MP3 from Danlynch.org
Running time: 50mins (ish). Parental Advisory! Contains strong language.
- Geek up Blackpool – fourth Monday of every month.
- Ubuntu LUG Blackpool
Latest wheeze is a DEC Alpha revitalised on Gentoo Linux
- Event: Replay Expo, retro games expo, 5 Nov Norbreck Castle Hotel Blkpool
Mix of old and new including MS Kinnect, Nintendo Wii.
- Upgrades to all Ubuntu machines to 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot (clean and upgrades)
RANT ALERT: why has 11.10 broken USB printers in 64-bit and extended kernels?!?!
And my USB microphone!
- Switched to Xfce desktop (added to Ubuntu, not by running Xubuntu; it’s just my choice of software stack).
RANT ALERT: why is Unity still so difficult?
19:48 | REVIEW of FULL CIRCLE MAGAZINE #54
- Robn – Closing Windows by Ronnie p.26 (despite the typo with sub-heading, we know). Finding the Linux equivalents of Windows features for the migrants.
- Les – Review of Synergy on p32. – keyboard and mouse server sharing
Also – Review by Hans Vandeveire of Mind mapping software- FreeMind on p.14
25.26 | NEWS
- Ubuntu on tablets. Coming Soon: Ubuntu For Mobiles, Tablets: Canonical will focus on its longer-term goal of expanding to all computing platforms, including mobile phones, tablet devices and also smart TVs (thanks for link Roland Tarver)
Also on Mark Shuttleworth’s blog Here Be Dragons: Ubuntu on phones, tablets, TV’s and smart screens everywhere.
- Ubuntu Developer Summit (UDS-P) News – see excellent coverage by attendees on Planet Ubuntu
Starting with the Summit beginning
USD-P in Orlando Day 1 (Elizabeth Krumbach)
Ubuntu UDS-P Orlando – Mark Shuttleworth’s Keynote session, a bit low-key, if anything.
Ubuntu Developer Summit – Designing and Creating Ubuntu Experiences
UDS-P, Banshee is to be dropped for Rhythmbox in 12.04 (via Julien Lavergne). Maybe.
- Hack to the Future Feb 11 2012 Preston, free tickets, full day 10-5.30. Real computing for kids.
Prime-mover is friend of the show Alan O’Donahoe (blog at teachcomputing.wordpress.com, @teknoteacher on twitter, email: alan (at) odonahoe.com)
13:41 | GUEST: Interview – Philippa Hammond – Reading from the Script
- Following the Workshop at the Critical Incident Unconference over the Summer.
Pippa’s site is Speaking Well in Public
44:20 | GUEST: Interview – Gemma Cameron – Barcamp Blackpool 2011
- Discussing the highlights of the Barcamp Blackpool Unconference last month.
– Picks of the non-techie talks- Lally on British sign language.
– Alex a comedic history of error messages. Including a live Sinclair Spectrum.
– The Physics busker with vortex simulator and rockets on the prom.
– 8 bit Nintendo hammer bead patterns producing badges.
Barcamp 2011 is not over; talks, blog posts, audio will be going up soon.
The planning for 2012 begins!
(Gemma is @ruby_gem on twitter)
57:06 | FEEDBACK
- Please send us some using the channels below!
57:38 | OUTRO AND WRAP
Comments: on this page, using the comment form, OR;
Send us a comment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also send us a comment by recording an audio clip and sending it to the same address. Comments and audio may be edited for length. Please remember this is a family-friendly show.
Please note: this podcast is provided with absolutely no warranty whatsoever; neither the producers nor Full Circle Magazine accept any responsibility or liability for content or interaction which readers and listeners may enter into using external links gleaned from this web-site, forum or podcast series.
Creative Commons Music Tracks