Full Circle Podcast Episode 26 Blame it on the Ferrets
Full Circle Podcast Episode 26 Blame it on the Ferrets
In this episode, UDs, Public Speaking and Barcamp Blackpool.
Full Circle Podcast is also a proud member of the Tech Podcasts Network.
- OGG 27.8Mb
- MP3 20.4Mb
Runtime: 1hr 00mins 03seconds
Feeds for both MP3 and OGG:
RSS feed, MP3: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed
RSS feed, OGG: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed/atom
The podcast is in MP3 and OGG formats. You can either play the podcast in-browser if you have Flash and/or Java, or you can download the podcast with the link underneath the player.
Show notes after the jump.
Despite a whole bag of Skype fail, Ubuntu USB fail and microphone fail, we’re lighting up like fireworks!
- Robin Catling (blog at http://catlingmindswipe.blogspot.com/, @robincatling on Twitter)
Culture-vultures can also go to Everything Express as http://everythingexpress.wordpress.com/
- Les Pounder (blog at http://lespounder.wordpress.com/ twitter @biglesp)
- Dave Wilkins… is lost in Antiquity (twitter @DavidAWilkins)
Additional audio by Victoria Pritchard
01:13 | WELCOME and INTRO:
03:09 | Since Last Time
- Attended a successful Barcamp Blackpool: Barcamp Blackpool audio sessions will begin appearing soon.
A side-project emerged from Barcamp: The Flying Handbag podcast DOWNLOAD MP3 from Danlynch.org
Running time: 50mins (ish). Parental Advisory! Contains strong language.
- Geek up Blackpool – fourth Monday of every month.
- Ubuntu LUG Blackpool
Latest wheeze is a DEC Alpha revitalised on Gentoo Linux
- Event: Replay Expo, retro games expo, 5 Nov Norbreck Castle Hotel Blkpool
Mix of old and new including MS Kinnect, Nintendo Wii.
- Upgrades to all Ubuntu machines to 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot (clean and upgrades)
RANT ALERT: why has 11.10 broken USB printers in 64-bit and extended kernels?!?!
And my USB microphone!
- Switched to Xfce desktop (added to Ubuntu, not by running Xubuntu; it’s just my choice of software stack).
RANT ALERT: why is Unity still so difficult?
19:48 | REVIEW of FULL CIRCLE MAGAZINE #54
- Robn – Closing Windows by Ronnie p.26 (despite the typo with sub-heading, we know). Finding the Linux equivalents of Windows features for the migrants.
- Les – Review of Synergy on p32. – keyboard and mouse server sharing
Also – Review by Hans Vandeveire of Mind mapping software- FreeMind on p.14
25.26 | NEWS
- Ubuntu on tablets. Coming Soon: Ubuntu For Mobiles, Tablets: Canonical will focus on its longer-term goal of expanding to all computing platforms, including mobile phones, tablet devices and also smart TVs (thanks for link Roland Tarver)
Also on Mark Shuttleworth’s blog Here Be Dragons: Ubuntu on phones, tablets, TV’s and smart screens everywhere.
- Ubuntu Developer Summit (UDS-P) News – see excellent coverage by attendees on Planet Ubuntu
Starting with the Summit beginning
USD-P in Orlando Day 1 (Elizabeth Krumbach)
Ubuntu UDS-P Orlando – Mark Shuttleworth’s Keynote session, a bit low-key, if anything.
Ubuntu Developer Summit – Designing and Creating Ubuntu Experiences
UDS-P, Banshee is to be dropped for Rhythmbox in 12.04 (via Julien Lavergne). Maybe.
- Hack to the Future Feb 11 2012 Preston, free tickets, full day 10-5.30. Real computing for kids.
Prime-mover is friend of the show Alan O’Donahoe (blog at teachcomputing.wordpress.com, @teknoteacher on twitter, email: alan (at) odonahoe.com)
13:41 | GUEST: Interview – Philippa Hammond – Reading from the Script
- Following the Workshop at the Critical Incident Unconference over the Summer.
Pippa’s site is Speaking Well in Public
44:20 | GUEST: Interview – Gemma Cameron – Barcamp Blackpool 2011
- Discussing the highlights of the Barcamp Blackpool Unconference last month.
– Picks of the non-techie talks- Lally on British sign language.
– Alex a comedic history of error messages. Including a live Sinclair Spectrum.
– The Physics busker with vortex simulator and rockets on the prom.
– 8 bit Nintendo hammer bead patterns producing badges.
Barcamp 2011 is not over; talks, blog posts, audio will be going up soon.
The planning for 2012 begins!
(Gemma is @ruby_gem on twitter)
57:06 | FEEDBACK
- Please send us some using the channels below!
57:38 | OUTRO AND WRAP
Comments: on this page, using the comment form, OR;
Send us a comment to email@example.com.
You can also send us a comment by recording an audio clip and sending it to the same address. Comments and audio may be edited for length. Please remember this is a family-friendly show.
Please note: this podcast is provided with absolutely no warranty whatsoever; neither the producers nor Full Circle Magazine accept any responsibility or liability for content or interaction which readers and listeners may enter into using external links gleaned from this web-site, forum or podcast series.
Creative Commons Music Tracks
- Opening: ‘Achilles’ by Kevin Macleod
- Main Theme: ‘Revolve’ by His Boy Elroy
- Incidental: ‘Dance Zone’ by Unknown
- Incidental: ‘On the Run’ by Unknown
- Incidental: ‘Iron Man’ by Unknown
1 Comment + Add Comment
- Major NVIDIA Stable Driver Released
- U.S. Marine Corps Wants to Change OS for Radar System from Windows XP to Linux
- Ubuntu Touch Music App Is Proof That Total Ubuntu Convergence Is Getting Closer – Gallery
- Canonical Drops Ubuntu 14.10 Dedicated Images for Apple Hardware
- Dropbox 2.11.34 Experimental Features a Rewritten UI for Linux Client
Go on Flattr us
All donations go to buying you folks some awesome competition prizes.
Full Circle is a free, independent, monthly magazine dedicated to the Ubuntu family of Linux operating systems. Each month, it contains helpful how-to articles and reader submitted stories.
Full Circle also features a companion podcast, the Full Circle Podcast, which covers the magazine along with other news of interest.