Full Circle Podcast Episode #21, Wibberty Wibberty Woo
In this episode, why do we need Ubuntu? The desktop versus the cloud
Full Circle Podcast is also a proud member of the Tech Podcasts Network.
Feeds for both MP3 and OGG:
RSS feed, MP3: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed
RSS feed, OGG: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed/atom
The podcast is in MP3 and OGG formats. You can either play the podcast in-browser if you have Flash and/or Java, or you can download the podcast with the link underneath the player.
Show notes after the jump.
- Robin Catling (blog at http://catlingmindswipe.blogspot.com/, @robincatling on Twitter)
- Ed Hewitt (blog at http://www.edhewitt.co.uk/, @edhewitt on Twitter)
- Dave Wilkins (…has a Fischer-Price toy. @DavidAWilkins on Twitter)
Additional audio by Victoria Pritchard
01:25 | WELCOME and INTRO
02:16 | SINCE LAST TIME
- Dave: academic and military
- Ed: finishing the academic year, work, travel, weighing up Chromebooks. Watching proceedings of the WWDC conference.
- Robin: blogging about CyanogenMod7 and trying Chromium-OS using both Hexxeh (failed) and Dell build (success).
06:53 | REVIEW: Full Circle Magazine Issue #49
– Ronnie’s Thunderbird article p.20
– Smithie’s opinion on Netbooks, p.26
– Ed’s Revenge of the Titans review p.40
- Ed: The open question ‘I Think’ article on Unity. p.27
- Robin: Daniel Holbach’s article on Ubuntu development, p.17
015:26 | NEWS
- Major issue with lack of Android updates
- 30 Days with Ubuntu, an article series by Tony Bradley at PC World
- Software Centre changes planned for 11.10
- Pitivi removed from Ubuntu default apps
- Further default apps discussion, computer janitor now gone
- Ubuntu 11.10 release schedule published
- Linux 3.0 on the way. Linus Torvalds ups the version number for no other reason than it’s the third decade of the Linux kernel
- Ubuntu 11.10 Alpha-1 released to an expectant world
- Asus EEE-PC to ship with Ubuntu pre-installed
- Canonical Launches Ubuntu-Ready Hardware Certification (Big news! Does anyone outside the village care?)
- The Five Pillars Of Ubuntu Server 11.10 laid out as a roadmap for the server community
35:20 | CONTRIBUTE
35:51 | OPINION: Why do we need Ubuntu? The desktop versus the Cloud.
56:27 | GAMING: Trine. Although it killed Dave’s laptop. Or maybe Dave killed Dave’s laptop…
59:39 | FEEDBACK: Call to action – anyone an expert in protecting yourself and your Open Source project against copyright and patent issues.
1.02:51 | Send us feedback: since Victoria continues to ask so nicely
1.03:28 | OUTRO AND WRAP
Comments: on this page, using the comment form, OR;
Send us a comment to email@example.com.
You can also send us a comment by recording an audio clip of no more than 30 seconds and sending it to the same address. Comments and audio may be edited for length. Please remember this is a family-friendly show.
Please note: this podcast is provided with absolutely no warranty whatsoever; neither the producers nor Full Circle Magazine accept any responsibility or liability for content or interaction which readers and listeners may enter into using external links gleaned from this forum or podcast series.
Creative Commons Music Tracks
- Opening: ‘Achilles’ by Kevin Macleod
- Main Theme: ‘Revolve’ by His Boy Elroy
- Incidental: ‘Dance Zone’ by Unknown
- Incidental: ‘On the Run’ by Unknown
- Incidental: ‘Iron Man’ by Unknown
- OGG 35.0Mb
- MP3 23.6Mb
Runtime: 68 mins 23 seconds