Full Circle Podcast Episode #20, A Dutch Pirate with False Teeth
In this episode, Google IO news, UDS and your feedback
Full Circle Podcast is also a proud member of the Tech Podcasts Network.
Feeds for both MP3 and OGG:
RSS feed, MP3: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed
RSS feed, OGG: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed/atom
The podcast is in MP3 and OGG formats. You can either play the podcast in-browser if you have Flash and/or Java, or you can download the podcast with the link underneath the player.
Show notes after the jump.
- Robin Catling (blog at http://catlingmindswipe.blogspot.com/, @robincatling on Twitter)
- Ed Hewitt (blog at http://www.edhewitt.co.uk/, @edhewitt on Twitter)
- Dave Wilkins… has a Hessian sack.
Additional audio by Victoria Pritchard
01:21 | WELCOME and INTRO
03:45 | News
Google IO Conference
Getting over our jealousy of the attendees receiving lots of free gadgets, the Google I/O Conference 2011 produced the usual flood of announcements.
- Android 3.1 for tablets
- Android Ice-cream Sandwich which will unify the tablet and phone versions of Android in Q4 in 2011 and will therefore bring several Honeycomb features to smart-phones.
- Music Beta by Google: an internet-based music service.
- Google Video: a movie rental service.
- Android Open Accessory Development Kit (ADK): an Arduino-based accessory development kit.
- Android@Home. This is Google’s vision of every device in your house being an Android accessory.
- An alliance of device makers and carriers to bring timely Android updates to devices for a minimum of 18 months.
- Google Chromebooks Two Chrome OS notebooks from Samsung and Acer, now called ‘Chromebooks’ Google will be offering a combined software and hardware subscription service for businesses, schools, and government customers.
13:38 | Ubuntu Developers Summit happened in Budapest, Hungary NOT Turkey.
- Mark Shuttleworth’s Keynote speech was big on values, less on technology this time.
- Aiming for 200million Ubuntu users in 4 years!
- Firefox remains the default browser in 11.10
- Deja Dup default in 11.10
- User interfaces changes: Dialog Sheets coming to 11.10
- Lubuntu joins the family as an official Ubuntu distro
- Updates coming to Ubuntu One to improve functionality and user experience
- Plans to improve application integration into Unity in 11.10
- Default Mail Client in 11.10; who knows???
- LightDM will replace GDM as the login manager in 11.10
32:47 | CONTRIBUTE
33:18 | FEEDBACK
Collected wisdom from the listenership.
James: You can get the Zindus extension to sync your Thuderbird contacts with Google Mail
Roland: alternative cloud storage solutions include –
- Spideroak – https://spideroak.com/
- Amazon S3 – http://aws.amazon.com/s3/
- Strong Space – https://www.strongspace.com/ (who apparently permit
- the use of rsync)
- Live Drive – http://www.livedrive.com
51:44 | Send us feedback: since Victoria continues to ask so nicely
52:24 | GAMING
- Trine and Revenge of the Titans, plus a look forward at the next 8 issues of Full Circle’s gaming column.
* Trine http://www.desura.com/games/trine
* Revenge of the Titans http://www.puppygames.net/revenge-of-the-titans/
1.27:19 | OUTRO AND WRAP
Comments: on this page, using the comment form, OR;
Send us a comment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also send us a comment by recording an audio clip of no more than 30 seconds and sending it to the same address. Comments and audio may be edited for length. Please remember this is a family-friendly show.
Please note: this podcast is provided with absolutely no warranty whatsoever; neither the producers nor Full Circle Magazine accept any responsibility or liability for content or interaction which readers and listeners may enter into using external links gleaned from this forum or podcast series.
Creative Commons Music Tracks
- Opening: ‘Achilles’ by Kevin Macleod
- Main Theme: ‘Revolve’ by His Boy Elroy
- Incidental: ‘Dance Zone’ by Unknown
- Incidental: ‘On the Run’ by Unknown
- Incidental: ‘Iron Man’ by Unknown
Runtime: 57 mins 08 seconds