Full Circle Side-Pod Episode Eight: Hardware, Software and Knitting
In this episode: News, U-Cubed review, and the Opentech Conference
Full Circle Podcast is also a proud member of the Tech Podcasts Network.
This is an extra, irregular, short-form podcast, which is intended to be a side-branch of the main Full Circle Podcast. Somewhere to put all the general technology, non-Ubuntu news and opinions, hobby-horses and kruft that doesn’t fit anywhere else. Be prepared for a healthy dose of British sarcasm.
Feeds for both MP3 and OGG:
RSS feed, MP3: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed
RSS feed, OGG: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed/atom
The podcast is in MP3 and OGG formats. You can either play the podcast in-browser if you have Flash and/or Java, or you can download the podcast with the link underneath the player. Show notes after the jump.
* Robin Catling (blog at http://catlingmindswipe.blogspot.com/)
* Les Pounder (blog at http://lespounder.wordpress.com/)
Additional audio by Victoria Pritchard
00:51 | WELCOME and INTRO
02:05 |Report on the U-Cubed Event
06:56 | Congrats to Jon Spriggs on the birth of baby Daniel
08:01 | NEWS:
* Amazon Cloud EC3 Downtime
Post-mortem analysis on Gigaom;
Second-tier supplier Rightscale commented;
* Apple Sues Samsung for Patent Infringement
Samsung strikes back
* Internet Filtering Possibly Outlawed in Europe
* New KDE Project Aims at Tablets, Mixed UIs
* Sony, Hotz Settle Lawsuit
(suing your customers may be legal but it’s not fair; and it took you
three months to realise this Sony??!?)
* Sony PSN down for 7 days and counting (Anonymous say “its not us”, Sony say “they didn’t
get your credit card – but probably everything else up to your inside leg measurement)
* And finally… Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal released!
29:07 | OGG Camp 11
* This year’s event is already a ticket ‘sell-out’
OpenTech 2011 is an informal, low cost, one-day conference on slightly different approaches to technology, transport and democracy. Talks by people who work on things that matter, guarantees a day of thoughtful talks leading to conversations with friends.
49:00 | FEEDBACK: How to get in touch with us
49:39 | WRAP and OUTRO
Comments: on this page, using the comment form, OR; Send us a comment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also send us a comment by recording an audio clip of no more than 30 seconds and sending it to the same address.
Comments and audio may be edited for length. Please remember this is a family-friendly show.
Please note: this podcast is provided with absolutely no warranty whatsoever; neither the producers nor Full Circle Magazine accept any responsibility or liability for content or interaction which readers and listeners may enter into using external links gleaned from this forum or podcast series.
Creative Commons Music Tracks
* Opening: ‘Knights of the darkness’ by Zero Project
* Main theme: ‘CCMixter’ by Code
* Incidental: ‘Funkorama‘ by Kevin MacLeod
* Incidental: ‘Techno-dog’ by Unknown, original recording royalty free under Creative Commons v2
* Opening dramatic dialog by Dave Wilkins and Robin Catling, from 2001: A Space Odyssey
Running Time: 51 minutes 24 seconds