Full Circle Podcast Episode 18: Never Order the Fish
Full Circle Podcast Episode #18, Never Order the Fish
In this episode, dissecting the news with a fish knife.
Full Circle Podcast is also a proud member of the Tech Podcasts Network.
Feeds for both MP3 and OGG:
RSS feed, MP3: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed
RSS feed, OGG: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed/atom
The podcast is in MP3 and OGG formats. You can either play the podcast in-browser if you have Flash and/or Java, or you can download the podcast with the link underneath the player.
Show notes after the jump.
- Robin Catling (blog at http://catlingmindswipe.blogspot.com/, @robincatling on Twitter)
- Ed Hewitt (blog at http://www.edhewitt.co.uk/, @edhewitt on Twitter)
- Dave Wilkins… has a broken rib
Additional audio by Victoria Pritchard
04:01 | WELCOME and INTRO
04:14 | SINCE LAST TIME…
- Ed – Playing Crysis II, upgrading the HTC Wildfire to CyanogenMod-7 stable.
- Dave – Injury, illness, army exercises; Nexus 1 upgrade to Android Gingerbread; diagnosing the Acer Aspire’s power problem
- Robin – rebuilding and scrapping PC’s for friends;
Looking into WordPress for a commercial blog (somehow need to cross post and chain WP blogs together);
Starting to data wipe HDD’s – various methods;
Booked my ticket for OGG Camp ’11, 13-14 Aug – The Maltings, Farnham UK.
16:10 | REVIEW Issue #47 of Full Circle Magazine
- Ed – File-systems on pg.20
- Robin – Q&A on pg.34
- Dave, Top 5 Education tools on pg.39
20:31 | NEWS
Stories this episode…
- Ubuntu 11.04 Beta
- Empathy 3.0 to have contact blocking, Gwibber-3 RSS and Buzz.
- Mozilla Thunderbird gets Ubuntu One contact sync support, me-menu and Unity messaging support! But no Google contact sync (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/ubuntu-one-contacts-sync-heading-to-thunderbird); Mozilla Lightning extension does support calendars, however
- Linux Kernel 2.6.38 Released
“Debian Derivatives Exchange project launched
Stefano Zacchiroli and Matt Zimmerman launched a new project called the Debian dErivatives eXchange project (DEX). The main goal of this project is to reduce the technical differences between Debian and its derivatives. The first such group is the Ubuntu DEX Team, which aims to start integrating packages and changes available in Ubuntu back into Debian. A gNewSense DEX Team is also expected soon.”
The Debian Project invites all Debian based distributions and other projects to join the DEX project and work together on a common base.” (http://dex.alioth.debian.org/ubuntu/)
- How awesome does Ubuntu One look
- Unity 2D updates
- Firefox 4 is out! Eds review on OMGUbuntu
- Changes to Indicator Applet Icon
- Ubuntu 11.04 new defualt wallpaper and 17 new wallpapers
- The ‘Apple’ logo has changed on the Dash button (http://twitpic.com/4ctpil)
- New Natty Feature, Test Drive
- Flash, Java, DVD and Media codecs not going to be installed by default!
- Ubuntu 9.10 end of life on 29 April 2011
- LibreOffice 3.4 plans May 2nd release. Removal of Java.
- Ubuntu 11.10 will not ship with classic desktop
- ShipIt is no more! (http://blog.canonical.com/?p=551)
- Ubuntu Gnome Remix (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugnometeam) No Unity.
- Ubuntu 8.04 end of life (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Goodbye-Ubuntu-8-04-LTS-194431.shtml)
- Ubuntu 11.04 to default to Classic Gnome over Unity? (as reported in WebUpd8/Phoronix)
53:42 | CONTRIBUTE
54:03 | GAMING
- Ed – Minecraft, Full Circle Magazine had its own server in March. Minecraft videos on YouTube. Playing through Crysis II.
- DW – Scum VM “Beneath a Steel Sky”
next up ‘Simon the Sorceror I and II’ point and click adventures – The Longest Journey (not the Disney dog and cat movie).
59:40 | FEEDBACK: Your comments and emails
1.06:41 | Send us feedback: since Victoria continues to ask so nicely
1.07:19 | OUTRO AND WRAP
Comments: on this page, using the comment form, OR;
Send us a comment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also send us a comment by recording an audio clip of no more than 30 seconds and sending it to the same address. Comments and audio may be edited for length. Please remember this is a family-friendly show.
Please note: this podcast is provided with absolutely no warranty whatsoever; neither the producers nor Full Circle Magazine accept any responsibility or liability for content or interaction which readers and listeners may enter into using external links gleaned from this forum or podcast series.
Creative Commons Music Tracks
- Opening: ‘Achilles’ by Kevin Macleod
- Main Theme: ‘Revolve’ by His Boy Elroy
- Incidental: ‘Dance Zone’ by Unknown
- Incidental: ‘On the Run’ by Unknown
- Incidental: ‘Iron Man’ by Unknown
Runtime: 1 hr 8min 50seconds
7 Comments + Add Comment
- Ubuntu Shopping Lens (Scopes) Declared Legal in the UK and Most Likely in the European Union
- elementary OS Freya Beta Is Out, Still the Most Beautiful OS in the World
- Screenshot Tool Shutter 0.92 Ditches Ubuntu One Support
- Russian Ministry of Health to Replace Microsoft and Oracle Products with Linux and PostgreSQL
- GUN Linux: On the range with TrackingPoint’s new AR-15s
You can also read Full Circle online at: http://issuu.com/fullcirclemagazine
Go on Flattr us
All donations go to buying you folks some awesome competition prizes.
You can subscribe to get an email update every time a new issue of the magazine comes out.
Full Circle is a free, independent, monthly magazine dedicated to the Ubuntu family of Linux operating systems. Each month, it contains helpful how-to articles and reader submitted stories.
Full Circle also features a companion podcast, the Full Circle Podcast, which covers the magazine along with other news of interest.