Full Circle Podcast 15: I’m in the Mood for Dancing
Full Circle Podcast #15: I’m in the Mood for Dancing
In this episode, Brainstorms, FUD and Media Players
Full Circle Podcast is also a proud member of the Tech Podcasts Network.
Feeds for both MP3 and OGG:
RSS feed, MP3: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed
RSS feed, OGG: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed/atom
The podcast is in MP3 and OGG formats. You can either play the podcast in-browser if you have Flash and/or Java, or you can download the podcast with the link underneath the player.
Show notes after the jump.
- Robin Catling (blog at http://catlingmindswipe.blogspot.com/)
- Ed Hewitt (blog at http://www.edhewitt.co.uk/)
- Dave Wilkins …is in the mood for dancing!
Additional audio by Victoria Pritchard
01:25 | WELCOME and INTRO
2:05 | SINCE LAST TIME…
- Dave – Comparing Exaile, Banshee and Rhythmbox (see media players reveiw); playing around with WordPress and KompoZer. Working up the Amnesia review for FCM. Playing some FreeCiv and Mass Effect.
- Ed – enjoying the Amazon Kindle (£111, don’t get the 3G, get the wifi model) and the Steam Xmas sale of games.
- Robin – Got Natty Alpha-1 working on Unity (much jackassing around with updates and upgrades) in VirtualBox (itself upgraded to 4.0).
10:41 | Review Issue #44 of Full Circle Magazine
- Robin – p.10 Backup with Wubi, using loop disks, not something I’d have thought of…
- Ed – p.20 Unetbootin review. p. Q&A top tips from Gord Campbell.
- Dave – p.15 Linux Lab. featuring Slitaz Linux and TaNDIS.
18:17 | News
CES, the Consumer Electronics Show is in full swing with the usual flood of announcements. We’re not going to try to cover that here. However…
~ Canonical is there with a stand, including Mr Shuttleworth.
~ 2GHz Cortex-A9 Ubuntu laptop at CES
News stories this episode…
- 10 Brainstorm ideas hitting Natty
~ Power management.
~ Networking IP address conflicts
~ Default username login
~ Icons for dead packages
~ Time clock over internet
~ System Monitor detail added
~ Closure messages in Unity
~ Software Center – removal of config files with packages
~ Ubuntu One progress indicator.
~ Performance improvements for media types
- Ubuntu Software Centre ratings and reviews preview
- Fuduntu distro released – Fedora remix in an Ubuntu-stylee
(doesn’t FUD stand for ‘Fear Uncertainty and Doubt’?)
- Ubuntu and the Price of Unity. Commentary and analysis of Unity vs Gnome desktops.
- Shuttleworth aims to overtake Apple in the user experience stakes
Apple Is Now Worth More Than $300 BillionSecond only to Exxon Oil…
- Why Is Canonical Selling An Ubuntu Branded Keyboard With A Windows Key?
Ubuntu-branded silicon-rubber roll-up keyboard – with a windows key??!! Doh!!!
- WordPress Challenges Bloggers to Post Daily in 2011 – Ed?
- France To Impose Levy on Tablets, But Not if They Run WindowsCopyright protection levy on devices that might be used for content piracy, but not Windows, clearly.
- NVIDIA Announces ARM CPU for Desktop, Server,
NVidia is going into the CPU market. Intel’s monopoly (sorry AMD) could be under threat. A whole new range of devices all the way from high-performance desktops to parallel processing and super-computing.
- Net neutrality bill in US Congress, satisfies no one.
- Google Unveils Tablet UI running Android 3.0
Honeycomb is here. It looks like Tron. Video and images via Engadget”
- Details Emerge on Ubuntu-Powered Tablet
10-inch tablet from Taiwanese firm Tenq, P07 featuring multitouch capabilities and running Ubuntu Linux Netbook 10.10, Atom 1.66 GHz CPU with 2 GB of RAM and a 32GB SSD.
- ‘Angry birds’ may be coming to Ubuntu
34:10 | Contribute
34:41 | Opinion Why are government’s so inept when it comes to technology?
40:12 | Android News
- Android: New Marketplace. Experience the new Maps app. YouTube Remote finally comes to the tiny backwater republic of The Rest of the World (i.e. Not the USA).
~ See the new marketplace on Android 2.21 in action
~ If you get a Sony-Ericsson phone – expect no Android 2.2 upgrades
49:21 | Gaming
- Humble Indie Bundle 2 – games
~ Stats – 230k $1.8m Linux purchases avg double Mac and more than Windows disproving the commentators.
~ Best game – Ed thinks Revenge of the Titans
~ Cortex Command review is WIP
~ Braid review coming soon
- Meanwhile, Dave on Mass Effect, and FreeCiv
- A few new imaginative uses for Dropbox
56:27 | Review Media Players – Rhythmbox, Exaile and Banshee
1.15:41 Feedback: Your comments and emails
- More Android feedback from Jon (the Nice Guy) Spriggs and Ken.
~ Send to Cmputer, PC bookmarking and linking via Appbrain
~ A Simple Lastfm Scrobbler
~ Orbot (a TOR client for Android) and
~ APG (a GPG/PGP application)
~ Astrid Time manager
~ Air Control Lite and Coast Defence games
~ Barnacle Wifi tether
~ ConnectBot to SSH home
~ AndroidVNC remote desktop.
1.21:01 | Send us feedback: since Victoria continues to ask so nicely
1.21:34 | Outro and Wrap
Comments: on this page, using the comment form, OR;
Send us a comment to email@example.com.
You can also send us a comment by recording an audio clip of no more than 30 seconds and sending it to the same address. Comments and audio may be edited for length. Please remember this is a family-friendly show.
Please note: this podcast is provided with absolutely no warranty whatsoever; neither the producers nor Full Circle Magazine accept any responsibility or liability for content or interaction which readers and listeners may enter into using external links gleaned from this forum or podcast series.
Creative Commons Music Tracks
- Opening: ‘Achilles’ by Kevin Macleod
- Main Theme: ‘Revolve’ by His Boy Elroy
- Incidental: ‘Dance Zone’ by Unknown
- Incidental: ‘On the Run’ by Unknown
- Incidental: ‘Iron Man’ by Unknown
- The Nolans ‘I’m in the mood for dancing’ (copyright Epic Records 1979)
Runtime: 1 hr 24min 34seconds
5 Comments + Add Comment
- Stephen Hawking Talks About the Linux-Based Intel Connected Wheelchair Project
- Mozilla Thunderbird 31.1.1 Lands in Ubuntu
- Curl Exploits Closed in All Supported Ubuntu OSes
- Everything You Need to Know About Meizu MX4, the Upcoming Ubuntu Phone – Gallery
- Torvalds says he has no strong opinions on systemd
Go on Flattr us
All donations go to buying you folks some awesome competition prizes.
You can subscribe to get an email update every time a new issue of the magazine comes out.
Full Circle is a free, independent, monthly magazine dedicated to the Ubuntu family of Linux operating systems. Each month, it contains helpful how-to articles and reader submitted stories.
Full Circle also features a companion podcast, the Full Circle Podcast, which covers the magazine along with other news of interest.