Full Circle Side-Pod Episode Seven: The End of the Shortbread Biscuits
The Android Phone episode.
Full Circle Podcast is also a proud member of the Tech Podcasts Network.
This is an extra, irregular, short-form podcast, which is intended to be a side-branch of the main Full Circle Podcast. Somewhere to put all the general technology, non-Ubuntu news and opinions, hobby-horses and kruft that doesn’t fit anywhere else. Be prepared for a healthy dose of British sarcasm.
* Ubuntu Kno tablet
* Novell Patents Destination
* YouTube HTML5 Beta
* Chrome OS equals ‘Careless Computing': Warning from Stallman (Guardian)
Review: Android on HTC Wildfire and Nexus-1
Feeds for both MP3 and OGG:
RSS feed, MP3: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed
RSS feed, OGG: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed/atom
The podcast is in MP3 and OGG formats. You can either play the podcast in-browser if you have Flash and/or Java, or you can download the podcast with the link underneath the player. Show notes after the jump.
Additional audio by Victoria Pritchard
1:56 | WELCOME and INTRO
02:39 | NEWS:
* Dual-screen Ubuntu-based tablet ‘Kno’ to ship this month
* New owners of Novell patents include Apple, Oracle, Microsoft
* YouTube runs HTML5 video Beta
* Chrome OS equals ‘Careless Computing’ not Cloud Computing warns Stallman (Guardian UK)
08:51 | REVIEW: Android on HTC Widlfire and Nexus-1
Nexus One vs. Nexus-S
Apps and Games on Android
* Google Calendar, mail. Google sync.
* Opera mini (better than the HTC/2.1 onboard browser)
* Googlemaps (with geo-location)
* Voice dialling
* Google Translate
* Google Finance
* Google Listen (podcast catcher)
* Nexus Torch
* Barcode scanner
* Google-Goggles and Layar augmented reality
* Metal Detector
* Movies (Flickster-based)
* Twitter (not HTC’s Ping sans geo-location)
* M-Analytics (Google Analytics on mobile)
* Mini Task Manager
* Shazam – music identification
* Skype Internet Telephony (may be blocked by your carrier)
* Speed Test
* WordPress Mobile
* Spotify (requires Spotify Premium membership £10 month)
* Last-FM (free)
* Angry Birds
* Raging Thunder
* Replica Island
* Hyperjump Light
* Pong (for retro-fun)
* Shoot You
* GameBoyd Light for Gameboy Advance fun (Advance Wars being a Wilkins fave) full UK version £3.20
* CNet podcasts
* Android Central site and podcast
52:05 | EXPERT SPOT: Rooting the HTC Wildfire for Android 2.2
Only follow this procedure at your own risk: rooting your phone and installing Custom ROMs could damage your phone to a state where it may not work again. Rooting your phone will void your warranty. Once your phone is rooted, damage could still be done, by using wrong commands in the terminal, overclocking your CPU or overclocking the LED light in the torch app.
This procedure relies on third party software which may be updated in new versions at any time; while it works for the majority, there are documented issues. Full Circle Magazine cannot be held responsible if this method incurs any permanent or non-permanent damage to your device.
58:08 | FEEDBACK: How to get in touch with us
58:49 | WRAP and OUTRO
Comments: on this page, using the comment form, OR; Send us a comment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also send us a comment by recording an audio clip of no more than 30 seconds and sending it to the same address.
Comments and audio may be edited for length. Please remember this is a family-friendly show.
Please note: this podcast is provided with absolutely no warranty whatsoever; neither the producers nor Full Circle Magazine accept any responsibility or liability for content or interaction which readers and listeners may enter into using external links gleaned from this forum or podcast series.
Creative Commons Music Tracks
* Opening: ‘Knights of the Darkness’ by Zero Project
* Main theme: ‘CCMixter’ by Code
* Incidental: ‘Funkorama‘ by Kevin MacLeod
* Incidental: ‘Techno-dog’ by Unknown, original recording royalty free under Creative Commons v2
Running Time: 1hour 1minute 13seconds