Full Circle Podcast #9: Playing a Unicycle and the Trombone
In this episode, a little later than scheduled; Unity, Gnome-Shell and UNE go head to head.
News: Ubuntu in Business Event, More Maverick Development, Aptitude is out,
Games: Ed’s goes on a Steam-spree; Dave ‘s second childhood with the Gameboy Emulator VGA.
Opinion: Gnome-Shell vs. Unity vs. UNE launcher
Interview: Part II of the Lubuntu Project
Q and A: Part III of Mark Shuttleworth’s sessions from UDS
Full Circle Podcast is also a proud member of the Tech Podcasts Network.
Feeds for both MP3 and OGG:
RSS feed, MP3: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed
RSS feed, OGG: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/category/podcast/feed/atom
The podcast is in MP3 and OGG formats. You can either play the podcast in-browser if you have Flash and/or Java, or you can download the podcast with the link underneath the player.
Show notes after the jump.
- Robin Catling (blog at http://catlingmindswipe.blogspot.com/)
- Ed Hewitt (blog at http://www.edhewitt.co.uk/)
- Dave Wilkins… runs BP, but only on the week-ends
Additional audio by Victoria Pritchard
02.42 | WELCOME and INTRO
03.18 | SINCE LAST TIME…
Ed: Tried Unity, tested Maverick 10.10, programmed in Python, played Windows Games via Steam! Microsoft FTW!
Dave: Messed with London, messed with the Nexus One Android phone, installed Lubuntu on an old PC.
Robin: Released Sidepod #2 (in case you hadn’t seen it), Setup VNC clients Vinagre and Xtightvncveiwer with Gnome-RDP. Canvassing any better Vinagre experiences – anyone?
08.26 | NEWS: More Maverick development
- Ubuntu In Business, Tues 11 July, London [I’m going *probably* – RC]
- Software Centre, featured apps list now animated
- Proposed Maverick Installer performance improvement
- New menu – Application Places in UNE
- More Windicators Info
- Aptitude will not be install in Maverick!
Aptitude Removed From Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat
Greetings and goodbyes at the entrance to hell
- Adobe Flash 10.1 is in Lucid?!?
Apple’s Steve Jobs argues against Flash (March 2010)
- Maverick Paper Cuts for 10.10 has started
24.59 | INTERVIEW: Lubuntu Team interview Part II: Open Source in Asia
We play in part two of our interview with the Lubuntu team, or at least the part of it based in Viet Nam. So this is me trying not to ask too many ignorant questions of Mario Behling and Hong Phuc Dong.
33.42 | OPINION: Views on Gnome 3 (Gnome-Shell vs. Unity vs. UNE launcher)
Trail – Contributing articles to Full Circle – scheduled guest spot with Ronnie for Episode 10 – any questions to our feedback address or the forum thread.
- Gnome-shell tour
- Gnome-shell screen-shots
- Canonical Design team, Introduction to unity Launcher
- RC’s comparative blog post Unity vs. UNE launcher
- Ubuntu Community Manager Jono Bacon loves Unity
- Confirmation that there will be no customisation in Unity
- Mark Shuttleworth’s comment on Unity lock-down
- Verdict on Gnome-Shell (RC’s Blog-post)
49.06 | GUEST SPOT: Q and A – Mark Shuttleworth at UDS – Unity, Server and the Cloud
This is the last part of our audio playback from the Ubuntu Developer Summit. The Q and A session run by Mark Shuttleworth, founder and now design chief at Canonical, followed on from his keynote speech which we featured the last two episodes. In this set of edited highlights, Mark has a few more things to say about Ubuntu Unity, Server and the Cloud…
(Audio courtesy of Alan Pope)
1:01.14 | GAMING:
Ed – Steam Deals of the Week : Bethseda: Crisis, Fallout 3, Morrowind
1:02.53 | Dave – Gameboy Advance Emulator – Visual Boy Advance
in the Ubuntu repositories or from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/vba/
Retro-games: Golden Sun, Golden Sun II and Metroid Fusion
1:09.39 Ed’s favourite is the N64 Emulator for running GoldenEye
A transcript of Dave’s review piece is attached as an Open Office Document for the sake of your sanity.
1:12.23 | FEEDBACK:
1:17.56 | WRAP and OUTRO
Comments: on this page, using the comment form, OR;
Send us a comment to email@example.com.
You can also send us a comment by recording an audio clip of no more than 30 seconds and sending it to the same address. Comments and audio may be edited for length. Please remember this is a family-friendly show.
Please note: this podcast is provided with absolutely no warranty whatsoever; neither the producers nor Full Circle Magazine accept any responsibility or liability for content or interaction which readers and listeners may enter into using external links gleaned from this forum or podcast series.
Creative Commons Music Tracks
- Opening: ‘Achilles’ by Kevin Macleod
- Main Theme: ‘Revolve’ by His Boy Elroy
- Incidental: ‘Dance Zone’ by Unknown
- Incidental: ‘On the Run’ by Unknown
- Trailer: ‘Dangerous’ by Kevin Macleod
- Incidental: ‘Iron Man’ by Unknown
Runtime: 1hr 20mins 18seconds